After 9 months of pregnancy I've found myself a completely different person, with entirely different priorities. This blog is dedicated to that experience of being a new mom and exposing the down and dirty truth of it all.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Sleep log: day 71

I can't help but think how long its been since I had a really good night of sleep. An uninterrupted 6 hour stretch (after midnight) would be heaven to me right now.

Currently Henry is going down anywhere between 7pm and 9pm. You would think that if he went down later he would sleep later - not the case. Last night he finally fell asleep close to 9pm, and was up again at midnight, 3am, and 5am. At 5am he really wanted to be up for the day but I just couldn't do it. I put him in the sling, walked with him for a few minutes to calm him down and then melted into the couch. He fell back asleep, thank God and I was able to get a few more precious moments of sleep before he woke up again.

My mother and husband are in my ear about waking Henry up just before I go to bed to feed him. I don't know why but this feels like cruel punishment to me - even though the current schedule is brutal, I don't know that waking him up is ever going to get him to sleep through the night. I don't want to create a habit with that so I think I'm going to go with my gut and not do it.

So I guess I just have to hang on to the thought that it will get better someday soon. In the meantime, more coffee please.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Follow your instincts! The waking up right before bed thing did not work for us and my pediatrician said, don't do it. Hang in there girlfriend and do what's best for you!