After 9 months of pregnancy I've found myself a completely different person, with entirely different priorities. This blog is dedicated to that experience of being a new mom and exposing the down and dirty truth of it all.

Friday, February 1, 2008

Mumma amiss

Yes, I know, I know - I haven't posted in a while. Yah, yah, yah.

Truthfully, I've been frustrated.....on many fronts.

First, the silly Google Ads that are supposed to be highlighting text ads for readers to click on are only featuring Katrina PSAs. Truly, Katrina was a horrible, devastating event, but a natural disaster has nothing to do with my blog (or maybe Google is trying to tell me something.) Upon reading up in troubleshooting forums, one suggestion to encourage Google to switch them out was to add more content, topic-specific content. So perhaps if I repeat the words: mom, mom, mom, mom, mom, mom, mom, motherhood, mom, child, mom, baby, mom... that would work.

Yah, I didn't think so.
(UPDATE: oh-ho! Maybe it did work!)

The second frustration has been in the ever grim sleep department. Henry has shown zero improvement in sleeping overnight, in fact he's often worse than ever. Last night I found myself hissing to my unoccupied side of the bed as I paced next to it, "I hate the nights, I hate the nights, I hate the nights."

I'm trying desperately not to race into Henry's room to soothe him the instant he starts crying so as a result I feel like a crazy woman at night. The most I can do is let him cry for 5 minutes, but to be perfectly honest if I saw that was making any impact on him whatsoever I would be encouraged. Instead he will cry in 5 minute bursts, and after an hour and a half I'm physically and emotionally done and I pull him into bed with me....and of course he sleep soundly for hours that way. I think attachment parenting has backfired on me.

So this weekend I'm getting the Ferber book. He is the last of the "sleep experts" that I need to introduce myself to. I've hesitated for many reasons, but I'm approaching my wit's end. I'm not saying that because I'm perusing the book I'll apply the techniques (and quite honestly Henry is probably a bit young for his school of thought) but dear God when Henry won't sleep for more than 2 hours in row I'm a freaking basket case. I would take advice from a bum on the street.

No comments: