After 9 months of pregnancy I've found myself a completely different person, with entirely different priorities. This blog is dedicated to that experience of being a new mom and exposing the down and dirty truth of it all.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

The standoff

Now truly, honestly THIS is the post that years from now my son is going to read and say, "Ma, really? You had to tell the world about that?" But I can't help it, I'm elated.

I'm elated about crap. Not a general theoretical reference, but actual crap.

We've had somewhat of a blockage here in our house the last few days. We started cereal last week, and while its been fun I couldn't help but notice the effect its played on my son's GI tract. "Iron Fortified" it says on the box but it fails to also promote that it will make you child's little bum the baby equivalent of Fort Knox. I was starting to get concerned.

In chatting with other mom friends I knew there were such remedies as adding a little prune juice to his bottle, and even more extreme... glycerin suppositories. In just thinking about it I decided that if we had to go the suppository route that it was definitely a daddy job (which of course he emphatically disagreed with.)

However, miracles of miracles this morning, just hours before I planned to call his pediatrician, we all got some relief. I noticed Henry's tell-tale red face grunting and wah-lah! I was actually happy to find the single nastiest, thickest paste of crappy diaper. Even Jim, who often claims whatever diaper he is stuck with is the absolute worst to date, agree this one took the cake.

I can only imagine what we are going to see when we start real food. Good lord.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Henry! Thank god for small favors. There will be no suppositories in East Lyme today. And I am here to tell you, there is worse to come. Jackson only likes to poop when he is lying on the changing table and I am holding his legs up putting on a new, clean diaper. Its awful yet fascinating all at the same time.

Mary said...

My recommendation is the exersaucer. I have no idea why but all of my kids used it as a bathroom when they were babies. My middle one would ONLY poop there. Isn't that red face hilarious?