After 9 months of pregnancy I've found myself a completely different person, with entirely different priorities. This blog is dedicated to that experience of being a new mom and exposing the down and dirty truth of it all.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A mommy logic problem

If I ever had the interest or the aptitude to apply for a consulting position I imagine I would get slammed with some horrible logic question in the interview like, "How many tennis balls can fit into a 747?" Now is that the passenger compartment alone, or are we including the cargo store?

An interview like that might be the equivalent to my worst nightmare.

Problem: A new mom and her (adorable) three month old son are out running errands. The new mom has precisely two boxes to drop off to be shipped. The boxes are large, cumbersome and the mom and son are alone. How, without leaving her son unattended in the car, does the mom deliver the boxes?

Answer: The mom grows another arm so she can carry the annoying large boxes and her (adorable) son into the store.

I'm not going to lie, I was mentally plagued by this situation all morning. In all fairness Henry would have been fine if I left him for a split second while I dropped off the pre-paid, already packed up boxes and if the year were 1950 I probably would have. But since we are now in the dangerous age of 2008 and last year marked the year of the negligent mother (thank you Britney Spears) I just couldn't do it.

So somehow I managed to get Henry's infant carrier out of the car, then opened the front door to grab the boxes with my free hand while balancing the load against my chest and under my chin. I took the few steps toward my destination and said a quick prayer that someone would open the door for me so I didn't topple all over myself. Somehow I timed it just perfectly and my prayers were answered. A very nice man took one look at me, with all my hair in my face from the blustering wind, he smiled and held the door wide open. I thought I saw sympathy in his eye which is lucky for me for surely he would have been the one to report me to child services if I had left Hank for that instant alone. Thank God for good decisions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have so been there! I too couldn't do the 1950's car leave even though I was parked directly in front of the UPS door. I have taken instead to walking Jackson in his jogger (large compartment underneath) at the time of day when the UPS truck is in our neighborhood and stalking them until I can casually say, "Can I give you this 300 lb package?" :)