After 9 months of pregnancy I've found myself a completely different person, with entirely different priorities. This blog is dedicated to that experience of being a new mom and exposing the down and dirty truth of it all.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

BPA in bottles

Now I don't mean to stir the pot, but if any of you new parents out there want to speak up, I'd love to hear your thoughts. The topic is BPA. Now previous to having Henry I kind of dismissed the idea of BPA being a harmful agent in many baby bottles. Today, I'm still not sure about it, but I'm starting to think if we have the means to use a different bottle brand maybe we should. Henry only gets one bottle a day usually from his dad and so switching to glass wouldn't be an inconvenience at all. What are your thoughts on it?

My chemist friend and mother of an adorable toddling boy sent me these links to peruse:
http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2007/05/sippy-cup-showdown-safer-bpa-free-sippy.html
http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2007/07/z-report-bisphenol-in-polycarbonate.html
http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2007/11/z-report-bisphenol-in-baby-bottles-and.html

Kind of makes me wonder...

3 comments:

Tara Jane said...

I agree that it is something to consider. We try to feed our little ones healthy food, so why take the chance of feeding them a plastisizer? I think Nalgenes and tupperware and baby bottles are probably safe if you do not heat the contents, but if you do, you are most likely leaching out a bit of small molecules. The question if those molecules are harmful is still in question, but I do not to test out BPA's side effects on my little sweat pea.

Anonymous said...

I talked to my doctor about this and he said we were fine using Dr Brown's plastic bottle as he considers them the best on the market and the safest. I find that in our baby classes and playgroups that's all anyone uses. I also talked to the manufacturer and they ensured me that if we put all parts in the top rack of the dishwasher and make sure our water will not be heated over 120 degrees the plastic will not leak out. We'd already set our water heater to 100 and I did some legwork to figure out how to ensure it stayed below 120 with the dishwasher but it's worth it now that Jackson has been put on the hypoallergenic formula and we have to use bottles. I totally get the concern but I trust my doctor implicitly so that's where I'm at.

Tara Jane said...

In response to Lindsay's comments, I think you are right to be controlling the temperature. I assume you are measuring the temperature in F. True? If so, are you sure you are sterilizing the bottles. I am wondering purely out of curiosity where your doctor came up the the values of 120 F. The glass transition temperature (the temperature at which a polymer will act "glassy") of straight polycarbonate (Dr. Brown's Bottles) is 300F, but the plasticizers are added so when the bottle is dropped it will not shatter as glass does. I do not know what the composite polymer bottle's Tg is. It seems to me that that would be the temperature to stay below. Maybe a fun question for Dr. Brown's customer service rep.... Let us know what you find out.